Civil Requirements for Marriage

A marriage license is required from the County Clerk’s office.

Residents of Wisconsin must apply before the County Clerk of the County in which either the bride or the groom is a resident. The license issued in that County may be used anywhere in the State of Wisconsin. (Clerks for the Greater Milwaukee area are listed below.)

Non-residents (both out-of-state) must apply in Milwaukee County for us to marry you at Gesu.

For more information, contact

    Jerri von den Bosch, Wedding Coordinator
  • email Jerri
  • 414-288-7412
  • The bride and groom must apply together, at least eight (8) days, but no more than thirty (30) days before the wedding date. Pay attention to this window of opportunity. The license is effective for 30 days upon the issuance date. In Milwaukee County, it takes a minimum of eight days to get a license.
  • Both the bride and groom must apply together. Each person must bring in a certified copy of his or her birth certificate (no hospital certificates or registration forms).
  • Both the bride and groom must bring in Social Security cards. The name on your Social Security card must be your legal name, with any legal suffixes (Jr., II, etc.).
  • The bride or groom must show proof of residency in the county for at least 30 days (does not apply to out-of-state residents). Standard proof of this is a driver’s license, showing photo for identification and reflecting your current address. If a current address is not shown on the driver’s license, two pieces of mail with current address must be presented.
  • You must supply the full name, address and phone number of the officiant performing the wedding ceremony.
  • No medical exam or blood test is required.
  • The marriage license fee ranges from $80.00 to $125.00, cash only. It is payable at the time of filing your application.

County Clerks' Offices in the greater Milwaukee area

If your County Clerk is not listed here, see the list at WI Government Accountability Board.







Marriage Civil image

Marriage Links